Thursday 14 February 2019

New Staff for 2019

At the end of 2018 Ephraim and Billy decided to move on from BBFO to pastures new. we wish them all the best in their future careers. Ephraim will be especially missed having spent almost three years with us.

After a good number of strong applicants, we interviewed our shortlisted candidates in November and we are pleased to say that Lewis Hooper and Sam Prettyman have both accepted the posts offered to them. 

Lewis's main project work will be to start then Manx Shearwater census, which will last for four years, and will be your host on the weekly wildlife walks and Chough studies, whilst Sam's projects will be doing much of the breeding bird monitoring including seabirds and shearwater biology studies. Both will of course be doing the daily census, ringing, doing the log and writing the blog posts. 

Sam is a qualified C ringer, while Lewis is a trainee. Both have a great pedigree in observatory and conservation work, and we look forward to having them onboard this year. So without further ado I will now hand over to the new lads and let them introduce themselves.

Lewis with Puffin Chick on the Isle of May
My name is Lewis Hooper, I am 22 years old and from Hampshire. I graduated from Derby University in 2017 with a zoology degree where I focused on ornithology. I started birding more seriously throughout my years at university. After university I spent a week on the Isle of May on the young birders training course run by the SOC (Scottish Ornithologists' Club) gaining my first taste of observatory life. I then went onto spend September and October of 2017 at North Ronaldsay bird observatory and enjoyed it so much I went back in February 2018 staying the full year leaving in November. A full year at a bird observatory is an amazing experience, I was able to get a T permit and ring over 500 birds including over 100 birds in the nest, as well as witness some amazing migration spectacles’ and be fortunate in finding some rarities. Bardsey is a new and exciting challenge that I cannot wait to start this year and I hope to gain more ringing experience, meet some amazing people and find a few rarities throughout the year.

Sam measuring a Kittiwake at Bempton
Hi I'm Sam Prettyman, I am from Sheffield and have been interested in zoology from a very young age, but became particularly interested in birds and birding as a teenager. I have monitored seabirds at RSPB Bempton Cliffs, as well as shorebirds at Gibraltar Point NNR. I have ringed at several observatories around the UK, mainly Gibraltar Point. However, the vast majority of my ringing is done with Sorby Breck Ringing Group, which covers South Yorkshire and Derbyshire. I also enjoy SCAN and Humber Wader Ringing Group sessions, for both mist-netting and cannon-netting waders and wildfowl. 

I spent six months as an Intern Warden at RSPB Old Moor, a top place and my favourite reserve! I learned a lot about reserve management here, and it’s also where my interest in bird ringing started after watching a Sand Martin pulli ringing session. As well as this, I have spent a year in Madagascar, and several months in Costa Rica and Bolivia carrying out various animal and plant surveys. I’m looking forward to life and work on Bardsey, working with seabirds is one of the main appeals for me, but I’m also hoping to see some rarities while I’m there!

No comments:

Post a Comment