Monday 31 July 2023

 Another day with more strong winds, so it was a fairly early start on the front looking west! The morning was not great to be honest, 1477 Manxies, two Whimbrel and three Risso's Dolphins were the highlights. Late afternoon Lauren did a bit more seawtaching and pulled the first Sooty Shearwater out of the bag for the year.

A few Willow Warblers and a Whitethroat were the only other birds of note, and quite a bit of heavy rain in the afternoon meant more indoor admin could be done - ordering nice new banded tote bags for the shop!!! 

So while sitting looking for more stock for the shop I received a message from Rich B on Skokholm saying that he had just seen a Cory's from the lighthouse on Skokholm! Inspired by Rich's success I went out to the front of the Obs and looked out to sea - Manxies, and lots and lots and lots of them! they were passing at a rate of 240 per minute (14.400 per hour), increasing to 325/minute later on (19,500 per hour). The total for the dat was about 20,000!

Manx Shearwater

Shear Madness!!!

So I began looking at the sea again at 19:40. The light was shocking, and looking north west from the Obs, where we normally look was impossible, so I had to look directly west, between Plas Lloft and Plas Withy. Just 15 minutes (19:55) in I saw a slow, lumbering Shearwater, being overtaken by the Manxies. It was big, loose and was my second Cory's Shearwater in two days! Ten minutes later (20:05), I had this feeling of Deja Vu, another big lumbering Cory's - this was getting silly and reminded me of the day when Steve Hind and I thought we were going mad when we kept finding Great Shearwaters. And then low and behold another large Shearwater at 20:17, this time darker looking, stiffer winged with a distinct white triangular patch formed between its dark cap and shoulder and its white collar, and a mucky looking patch on its belly -  it was a Great Shearwater. (due to the light and the bird being back lit I couldn't really make out any plumage detail on the underwing). This was bonkers. Having only ever seen two Cory's before from the island it was an amazing record. It all went very quiet then, just gazillions of Manxies... I was just thinking of giving up as I had been there almost 90 minutes when I picked up a pot-bellied looking Balearic Shearwater fairly close in at 21:05. The light was starting to go, but I thought, go on I will give it another 15 minutes... Then I picked up a tiny little Stormy Petrel buzzing south over the waves, and then a couple of minutes late another lumbering big shearwater - the third Cory's Shearwater of the day... 

by now my brain was beginning to hurt! Four big Shearwaters in two hours, just madness. This was one, if not the best swatch I had ever done from the island and I was quite buzzing...

I went back into our house at 21:35 and told Emma what I had seen and immediately phoned Reg on the mainland to tell him. I was ecstatic. Then I got a message from Skokholm... Rich and Giselle had just seen no fewer than Eight Cory's and a Great past Skok! I was still buzzing, but felt a bit like I had been smashed by the Observatory in the south - there is no competition between us - honest!!

Well what a brilliant evening.. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment